Master’s of Science in Economics at AUCA
Two-year full-time MSc program in Economics was launched in 2016 in cooperation with the Norwegian University of Life Sciences. Our Program satisfies the highest international standards of education and is similar in content to the Master’s programs of the best American and European economics departments.
The program is designed for students who wish to improve their knowledge of economic theory and its applications. It provides a technical and rigorous approach to the study of economic theory while offering students enough flexibility to take a number of electives in the department in order to tailor their programs of study to their professional goals.
The MSc program is ideal for anyone looking for a program which specializes in advanced applied economic research. The program offers an excellent opportunity for:
- Students seeking a rigorous training in economics to pursue employment in public-sector bodies and regulatory agencies; private sector financial, consultancy and related companies
- Students with an interest in economics who wish to develop their core knowledge of economics and learn from a wide range of elective courses
- Students who wish to pursue a PhD in Economics and want to take core training.
Why do an MSc in Economics at AUCA
- Training for competitive jobs in regulation, consulting, and finance
- Academic preparation for top international PhD programs
- Rigorous quantitative approach to economic problems
- Opportunity to spend a semester abroad through AUCA’s student exchange programs
- Competitive merit-based scholarship available
- Research/Teaching assistantships available
Goals of the program:
Goal 1: Deep understanding of economic theory and knowing analytical tools and quantitative methods to critically analyze economic problems and make evidence-based decisions
Goal 2: Development of leadership and management skills and preparation for work in an international environment
Goal 3: Attracting the best faculty with wide research and professional experience in order to develop critical thinking and revealing the research potential of students
Goal 4: Development of international partnerships and cooperation with organizations, universities and research centers to provide ample opportunities for knowledge exchange and joint research for students and faculty
Goal 5: Stimulation of collaborative and individual research work of faculty and students, and the use of skills and results of research in the learning process.
Learning outcomes of the educational program
• Have an in-depth knowledge and understanding of economic theory, concepts and models, and be able to apply this knowledge to the analysis and interpretation of economic data
• Have advanced skills in using statistical tools and quantitative methods to work on independent research projects
• Development of analytical and critical thinking skills needed for research, policy evaluation and decision-making.
• Have advanced skills of empirical data analysis, such as analysis of census data, household survey data
• Development of written and oral communication skills necessary for teamwork, project management, presentations, writing scientific articles and dissertations.
• Gaining work experience in an international environment and knowledge of international economic systems, in order to prepare for work in international organizations and study in international PhD programs
• Ability to conduct independent research in the field of economics, using empirical data that meets the requirements of international scientific journals
Developed in partnership with the Norwegian University of Life Sciences
The program has been developed in cooperation with the Norwegian University of Life Sciences, combining economic theory and its applications, providing a rigorous approach to the study of Economics. Courses are taught by highly qualified AUCA faculty with PhDs from Duke University, Central European University and University of Maryland.
Program at a glance:
- Diverse, internationally regarded faculty
- 22 months, full time
- Degrees recognized in the Kyrgyz Republic and the U.S.
- Opportunity to study while working (classes are conducted Mon-Fri 6.30 pm – 9.15 pm, Sat 9.25 am – 3.25 pm)
- Tuition fee for 2020-2021 is $4000 per year with merit-based scholarship available
AUCA recognizes MITx MicroMasters Program credential for credits
AUCA is the first university in Central Asia to grant DEDP MITx MicroMasters online learners credits that would count toward the completion of a full master’s degree at AUCA.
AUCA MSc in Economics Program will recognize course credits to their students who successfully complete the MITx MicroMasters Program in Data, Economics and Development Policy (DEDP) and the MITx MicroMasters Program in Statistics and Data Science. Such a collaboration with MIT will help AUCA’s Economics Department enhance teaching innovation and strengthen its curricula in the area of evidence-based development policy analysis and data science.
For questions and further information, contact us:
0312 915000 (ext.470)
Akylai Muktarbek kyzy, Director of AUCA MSc in Economics Program